“It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.”
― Dale Carnegie
Change is coming.
Serious, big changes are coming and they’re about to kick my butt. Seriously, kickin’ my butt. So, how am I going to deal with them?
I’m going to love every single minute of opportunity that comes my way, because that, my friends, is who I am. On those rare occasions when I feel down about a situation, or sad about what’s happening in my life, I recognize that what made me feel sad, or down was FIRST and foremost the way I thought of the event. Once I make that realization, I can change my outlook.
What about you?
A few days back, I posted a comment on social media about how we perceive our situations.
The key to the question was more about our own choices than it was about those things that are inflicted on us by others. In most cases, on the thread, responses indicated the personal reaction (feeling sad) was uncontrollable, because of what happened to them. Situations outside their control made them feel sad.
Your life is made up of 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it.
You can sit and whine about how much of life has passed you by, and how you can’t accomplish the tasks you desired to achieve because…. Or you can go out and find the solution, fix your problem, and find the solution that suits your fancy.
I’m all about waiting for God.
Some in my discussion talked about waiting for God to send them answers, or to help them find the right thing, or the best thing for their lives, which I believe is admirable. In fact, there are times in my life when I wish I’d spent more time waiting for God to act… However, looking back, I’m not sure I would have made a lot of changes, because what has happened to me in life has brought me to this place.
Yes, I’m single, twice divorced, and 57 years old, with four amazing children, and living on my own, busting my butt to achieve my dreams once again… So what’s wrong with this picture?
Well, some might say “all of the above” but I’ve got news for you… I don’t see most of that as what’s wrong with my life. We all make choices to the best of our ability WHEN we make them. And if we’re saturating ourselves with God’s word, we’re making those choices from a position of prayer and awareness of God’s actions in our lives. Always the right choice? Maybe not. But I’ve seen some really amazing results come out of what the world may see as horrible choices made by God’s chosen when they follow God’s Holy Word for their lives.
Your life is made up of 10% what happens to you…
If just 10% of your life is what happens to you, and the other 90% has to do with what you do with what happens to you… Doesn’t that mean that YOU have more to say about how happy you are with your life than is influenced by what happens to you?
What can you do about life situations to make them better?
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances;for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not quench the Spirit.
Even in the desperate times, where you find yourself struggling with the pain, you should continue to praise Him for those times too… Because He said give thanks in ALL circumstances, so you won’t quench the Spirit. He didn’t say ‘give thanks in some things’ or ‘give thanks in the good things’ but he said, “Give thanks in ALL circumstances.”
If you’re busy praising God for the blessings, even the blessings of experience gained from the hard moments, you’ll gain more blessing, because you won’t quench the Spirit of God.
What should be your motive?
When you’re praising God… Do you praise him for what he gives you, or do you praise him for being God? This question came up in a recent discussion with one of my favorite pastors. His sermon had been wrapped around the concept of praising God, and I had felt the leading of the Holy Spirit in his message… But I noticed he struggled with the message a bit. So, I asked.
He’d had a conversation with another parishioner who mentioned that she praised God, because he blessed her and she was grateful. His struggle was with the design of worship.
We praise God, because we are meant to worship Him.
The catharsis becomes hurtful when we shift our focus to what we get after we praise. Do we praise him because He alone is worthy? Or do we praise him for what he does for us?
I believe if we praise him in ALL circumstances, we are praising God because He alone is worthy to be praised. And the benefit of that is the blessings we receive when we don’t quench His spirit.